First Industrial Realty Trust Reports First Quarter 2021 Results
- Occupancy of 95.7%; Cash Rental Rates Up 10.4%
- 12.7% Cash Rental Rate Increase On 2021 Rollovers Signed Year-to-Date
- Started Three Developments Totaling 1.4 Million Square Feet, Estimated Investment of $99.6 Million
- Announced Two New Development Starts for Second Quarter Totaling 1.0 Million Square Feet, Estimated Investment of $82.6 Million
- Acquired a 62,000 Square-Foot Building in Northern California Plus Three Development Parcels for $24.1 Million
- Completed $67.2 Million of Asset Sales in the First Quarter
- Increased First Quarter 2021 Dividend to $0.27 Per Share, an 8.0% Increase
First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR), a leading fully integrated owner, operator and developer of industrial real estate, today announced results for the first quarter of 2021. First Industrial's diluted net income available to common stockholders per share (EPS) was $0.48, compared to $0.32 a year ago and first quarter FFO was $0.46 per share/unit on a diluted basis, compared to $0.45 per share/unit a year ago.
“Our first quarter results and portfolio performance reflect the favorable industrial real estate fundamentals and the efforts of our team across our entire platform,” said Peter E. Baccile, First Industrial's president and chief executive officer. “With the economic recovery well underway, we are excited to launch five new development projects year-to-date that will contribute to our long-term cash flow growth and serve tenant demand.”
- In service occupancy was 95.7% at the end of the first quarter of 2021, compared to 95.7% at the end of the fourth quarter of 2020, and 97.1% at the end of the first quarter of 2020.
- Same property cash basis net operating income before termination fees (“SS NOI”) increased 2.2%. SS NOI excludes the impact of an insurance settlement.
- Rental rates increased 10.4% on a cash basis and increased 21.4% on a straight-line basis.
- The Company, to date, has signed approximately 72% of 2021 rollovers by square footage at a cash rental rate increase of 12.7%.
- Tenant retention of square footage up for renewal was 76.5% and leasing costs were $1.80 per square foot.
During the first quarter, the Company:
- Leased 100% of its 44,000 square-foot First Redwood Logistics Center I Building B in the Inland Empire.
- Leased 29,000 square feet at its 173,000 square-foot First Grand Parkway Commerce Center Building I in Houston.
In the second quarter to date, the Company:
- Leased 36,000 square feet at its 199,000 square-foot First Grand Parkway Commerce Center Building II in Houston to bring the two building, 372,000 square-foot project to 33% leased.
Investment and Disposition Activities
In the first quarter, the Company:
- Commenced development of three projects totaling 1.4 million square feet, with an estimated total investment of $99.6 million comprised of:
- First Park @ PV303 Building C in Phoenix - 548,000 square feet; $42.6 million estimated investment, site wholly owned by FR.
- First Rockdale IV in Nashville - 500,000 square feet; $26.8 million estimated investment.
- First Wilson Logistics Center I in the Inland Empire - 303,000 square feet; $30.2 million estimated investment.
- Acquired a 62,000 square-foot building in the Oakland market of Northern California for $12.3 million.
- Acquired three land sites in the Lehigh Valley, the Inland Empire and the Oakland market of Northern California totaling 16.6 acres for $11.8 million that can support development of up to 275,000 square feet.
- Sold three buildings plus two units totaling 1.1 million square feet for $67.2 million.
In the second quarter, the Company:
- Plans to commence development of two projects totaling 963,000 square feet, with an estimated total investment of $82.6 million comprised of:
- First Park 121 Buildings C and D in Dallas - 375,000 square feet total; pre-leased 100% of the 125,000 square-foot Building C; $30.0 million estimated investment.
- First Aurora Commerce Center Building E in Denver - 588,000 square feet; $52.6 million estimated investment.
- Sold a 36-acre land site in Central Pennsylvania for $11.0 million.
Common Stock Dividend
During the first quarter, the Company:
- Paid a common dividend of $0.27 per share/unit for the quarter ending March 31, 2021 on April 19, 2021 to stockholders of record on March 31, 2021. The new dividend rate represented an 8.0% increase from the prior rate of $0.25 per share/unit.
Outlook for 2021
“Demand for logistics facilities across our markets remains strong, evidenced by a second consecutive quarter of 100 million-plus square feet of net absorption nationally,” added Mr. Baccile. “We are excited about the value creation and cash flow growth opportunities within our development pipeline as well as the rental rate growth and lease-up opportunities within our existing portfolio.”
The following assumptions were used for guidance:
- Average quarter-end in service occupancy of 95.75% to 96.75%, an increase of 25 basis points at the midpoint.
- Same store NOI growth on a cash basis before termination fees of 3.5% to 4.5% for the full year, an increase of 50 basis points at the midpoint.
- General and administrative expense of approximately $33.0 million to $34.0 million.
- Includes the incremental costs expected in 2021 related to the Company’s developments completed and under construction as of March 31, 2021 and the aforementioned planned second quarter starts of First Park 121 Buildings C and D and First Aurora Commerce Center Building E. In total, the Company expects to capitalize $0.05 per share of interest in 2021.
- Reflects the expected payoff of an approximately $57.7 million secured debt maturity in the third quarter with an interest rate of 4.85%.
- Other than the transactions discussed in this release, guidance does not include the impact of:
- any future debt repurchases prior to maturity or future debt issuances,
- any future investments or property sales, or
- any future equity issuances.
First Industrial will host its quarterly conference call on Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. CDT (11:00 a.m. EDT). The conference call may be accessed by dialing (866) 542-2938 and entering the conference ID 9193527. The conference call will also be webcast live on the Investors page of the Company’s website at www.firstindustrial.com. The replay will also be available on the website.
The Company’s first quarter 2021 supplemental information can be viewed at www.firstindustrial.com under the “Investors” tab.
In accordance with the NAREIT definition of FFO, First Industrial calculates FFO to be equal to net income available to First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc.'s common stockholders and participating securities, plus depreciation and other amortization of real estate, plus impairment of real estate, minus gain or plus loss on sale of real estate, net of any income tax provision or benefit associated with the sale of real estate. First Industrial also excludes the same adjustments from its share of net income from unconsolidated joint ventures.
About First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc.
First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR) is a leading fully integrated owner, operator, and developer of industrial real estate with a track record of providing industry-leading customer service to multinational corporations and regional customers. Across major markets in the United States, our local market experts manage, lease, buy, (re)develop, and sell bulk and regional distribution centers, light industrial, and other industrial facility types. In total, we own and have under development approximately 64.4 million square feet of industrial space as of March 31, 2021. For more information, please visit us at www.firstindustrial.com.
This press release and the presentation to which it refers may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. We intend for such forward-looking statements to be covered by the safe harbor provisions for forward-looking statements contained in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are based on certain assumptions and describe our future plans, strategies and expectations, and are generally identifiable by use of the words "believe," "expect," "plan," "intend," "anticipate," "estimate," "project," "seek," "target," "potential," "focus," "may," "will," "should" or similar words. Although we believe the expectations reflected in forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, we can give no assurance that our expectations will be attained or that results will not materially differ. Factors which could have a materially adverse effect on our operations and future prospects include, but are not limited to: changes in national, international, regional and local economic conditions generally and real estate markets specifically; changes in legislation/regulation (including changes to laws governing the taxation of real estate investment trusts) local economic conditions generally and real estate markets specifically; changes in legislation/regulation (including changes to laws governing the taxation of real estate investment trusts) and actions of regulatory authorities; the uncertainty and economic impact of pandemics, epidemics or other public health emergencies or fear of such events, such as the recent outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19); our ability to qualify and maintain our status as a real estate investment trust; the availability and attractiveness of financing (including both public and private capital) and changes in interest rates; the availability and attractiveness of terms of additional debt repurchases; our ability to retain our credit agency ratings; our ability to comply with applicable financial covenants; our competitive environment; changes in supply, demand and valuation of industrial properties and land in our current and potential market areas; our ability to identify, acquire, develop and/or manage properties on favorable terms; our ability to dispose of properties on favorable terms; our ability to manage the integration of properties we acquire; potential liability relating to environmental matters; defaults on or non-renewal of leases by our tenants; decreased rental rates or increased vacancy rates; higher-than-expected real estate construction costs and delays in development or lease-up schedules; potential natural disasters and other potentially catastrophic events such as acts of war and/or terrorism; litigation, including costs associated with prosecuting or defending claims and any adverse outcomes; risks associated with our investments in joint ventures, including our lack of sole decision-making authority; and other risks and uncertainties described under the heading "Risk Factors" and elsewhere in our annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2020, as well as those risks and uncertainties discussed from time to time in our other Exchange Act reports and in our other public filings with the SEC. We caution you not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect our outlook only and speak only as of the date of this press release or the dates indicated in the statements. We assume no obligation to update or supplement forward-looking statements. For further information on these and other factors that could impact us and the statements contained herein, reference should be made to our filings with the SEC.
A schedule of selected financial information is included in the PDF version below.
Contact: Art Harmon, Vice President, Investor Relations and Marketing - (312) 344-4320